Tuesday, April 08, 2008

The Ghost in the Darkness

Pitch black is a scary thing.

I was at my computer last night, typing away when all the lights went off.
Suddenly I was plunged into a very unfamiliar darkness, a blackness unrestrained by streetlights, or bulbs or the piercing glare of computer screens. Frustrated screams and howls echoed down the hallway, and a few morons shouted with glee. I walked out to the hall and the rest of my apartment mates were outside on the balcony, surveying the scene. Apparently, the electricity to our entire hostel was cut off, plunging most of us in a darkness that would be very unfamiliar to city dwellers. We could hardly see our own hands if it wasn't for the pitiful light of small candles and handphones.

I spent some time on the balcony, watching and listening with a sense of bewilderment as university students who had been at their computers, or books, or playing games or watching movies just a few minutes before began to fill the hallways and pavements,screaming and howling; beating empty bottles together or banging on doors, acting for all the world like savages on the warpath.

I walked in to relieve myself. Not having any candles, I found my way to the toilet using the light from my handphone. Even the familiar spaces of my apartment looked alien in the blue light of my sony-ericsson. i admit, i felt a little disorientated, bumping into the most familiar things. And a feeling of uneasiness began to gnaw at my mind. When I was finished, I don't know why, but I had the sudden urge to test if my handphone was still working. I called Nadia, telling her what had happened. She was amused, giggling at the sound of plastic bottle drums. I found her voice reassuring, I was oddly worried that somehow the telephone lines were down too.

I walked out to the porch again and wondered if everyone else shared the same feeling. I noticed that people who had been minding their own business when the light were on, were now congregating in small groups. Even my housemates, who usually don't say a word to each other,were now on the porch, standing close to each other and talking. There was an unmistakable quiver of excitement and nervousness in their voices. There were more of these little ad hoc groups everywhere, as the people in each apartment stuck close to familiar faces. Still the beating of
the empty bottles continued, thudding rhythmically, like drums in the night, growing louder as more and more joined in to declare war against the silence. I started to feel a little amped too, actually. There was a sense of excitement and adventure, a welcome break from the routine. And the stars lit the night sky.

It was then that my blood froze.

Out of the night, a voice called out in malay.
"Find a woman to rape! Plenty in the girl's hostel!"

Laughter echoed the cry, as someone else called out in support. I stalked back to my room in disgust as more voices joined in, howling with laughter and amusement, urging their friends on. I hurriedly leaned out the window to see if the lights were on in the women's hostel. They were. I let out a sigh or relief. Out of habit, I locked my door - but I did not fail to note that had it not been a habit, I would still have locked my door that night.

I sat on my bed, absently strumming on my guitar. I wondered what would have happened if all the lights had gone out.

Would the handful of security men that the university employs be able to control the situation? Could they cover all the ground?

Could university students turn to criminals under the cover of darkness?
I would not be suprised.

What is it about the darkness that brings out the animal in the man?

If all the lights go out, I wonder what will happen.

2 comments:

wubi said...

oh my god ! dats fucking scary man ...not to mention very very sick. I hope those people dont have girlfrens or sisters ....

Nadia said...

"I was oddly worried that somehow the telephone lines were down too. "

ure so damn paranoid.cute.